Vics' were defeated by Vanarama Premier Macclesfield Town this evening in the Cheshire F.A Senior Cup final by the odd goal in five at the Weaver Stadium. After being 0-2 down, Vics' mounted a stirring comeback to level the game at 2-2 - and despite creating the chances to score the winner amidst heavy pressure on the Silkmen's goal in the last twenty minutes; a quick breakaway following a Vics' corner resulted in ex-Vics' loanee Danny Rowe sealing victory for Macc' with six minutes left.


Tuesday 21st April 2015. COMPETITION - Cheshire F.A Senior Cup Final 2014/15.  VENUE - The Weaver Stadium, Nantwich.


LINE-UP'S - Vics' - Smith, Smalley, Grayson (Summerskill 60'), Ali, Clarke (C), Henry, Cook, Roddy (Fishwick 85'), Burnett, Amis, Sanogo.  Un-used subs' - Deasy (GK), Bennett, Meadowcroft.


Macc Tn - Branagan, Halls, Hunter, Disney, Cowan, Haining, Moke, Lewis, Fairhurst, Rowe, Bailey-Jones.  Subs - Gibson, Tighe, Thompson, Jenkins.


GOALS - Vics' - Joshua Amis 45', Abou Sanogo 69'.   Macc - Waide Fairhurst 20', Bailey-Jones 43', Danny Rowe 84'.


The match opened at a frantic pace with both sides looking to get the upper hand early on. The first shot on target by Silkmen' forward Danny Rowe on 5' was well saved by back-up keeper' Smith in Vics' goal.

The next 15 minutes saw a period of prolonged pressure by Macc on Vics' goal; and that pressure told when Waide Fairhurst slammed in a left-foot shot from 20 yards past Smith on 20' following a quick break down the left by Paul Lewis. Vics' were struggling to get a foothold in the game but managed a riposte on 27' when Abou Sanogo worked Macc keeper' Branagan with a low shot after Gary Burnett slipped a pass into his path on the edge of the box. Macc' were in the driving seat two minutes before the break when Theo-Bailey Jones fired in at the back post from short range after Waide Fairhurst helped on a cross from the left, with the Vics' defence caught napping by another quick-fire Silkmen' raid. Vics' response from the re-start was swift; Abou Sanogo let fly with a trade-mark right-foot rocket shot that Branagan miraculously managed to push over the bar. The green and whites' were not to be denied though - on the stroke of half-time; Joshua Amis pummelled in a low right-foot drive six yards out from a partially blocked Abou Sanogo shot after a Stuart Cook cross had caused consternation in the Silkmen' box.   


HALF-TIME - Macclesfield Tn 2-1 Vics'.


Vics' started the second half on fire after Amis' goal just before the break had given them a huge shot in the arm. A goal was ruled out for offside - and then on 54', Chris Smalley released Gary Burnett who entered the box but could only send his low right-foot effort straight at a sprawling Richie Branagan's legs. Macc' winger Bailey-Jones fired well wide in a rare sortie on 63' - and Vics' levelled the game deservedly on 69' when the irrepressible Abou Sanogo powered the ball into the far corner of the net with a booming header across Branagan from Stuart Cook's perfectly flighted free-kick. The next fifteen minutes saw Vics' lay siege to the Macc' goal with impressive sub' Brian Summerskill leading the charge - yet another Abou Sanogo pilededriver; this time from short-range and an almost impossible angle; was somehow smuggled off line by Branagan on 77' from yet another cross by game-star Stuart Cook from the touchline. Following two Vics' corners in succession with seven minutes left, a swift counter-attack ended when Danny Rowe looped a shot into the top corner from 12 yards via Vics' players' player of the season and supporters' player of the season; Callum Henry's legs - which left Dane Smith in goal totally flat-footed. Referee Joe Hull denied a penalty for Vics' on 89' when Stuart Cook released Gary Burnett into the box and he skipped past Branagan only for the custodian to appear to trip him with his outstretched hands as he attempted to clear the ball. It was harsh on a Vics' side that had valiantly battled back into the game from 2-0 down but it wasn't to be as Macc' saw out the four minutes of added on time to claim a 21st Cheshire F.A Senior Cup title.


Vics' M.O.M - Stuart Cook. Had a hand in the first goal and perfect free-kick for the second - binded everything together in a tough midfield battle. In fine form the last few weeks.




Up next for Vics' is the Mid-Cheshire Senior Challenge Cup FINAL on Tuesday 23rd April Vs Witton Albion F.C - Kick-off is at 19:45.  Venue - Wincham Park, Chapel Street, Wincham, Northwich.  Postcode for Sat-nav systems is - CW9 6DA.


Match report & interview by Jamie Dewsbury.