Saturday 18th February 2017. COMPETITION - EvoStik NPL Division One South. VENUE - The Moat Ground, Gresley


LINE-UP'S - Gresley FC - Peet, Wakeling, Egginton (Cobas Ladrero 57'), Walker (caution), Barrett (C), Roome, Browne (Jarvis 75'), Morris, King (Grouse 46'), Melbourne (caution), Harris.  Un-used subs' - Hammond, Manship.


Vics' - Forth, Lawrence, Fitzgerald, Lyndon (C), Mannion, Bennett, Clarke, McDonald (caution), Short, Gyimah (Pritchard 80'), Abadaki (Doran 90').  Un-used sub' - Shaw.

GOALS - Vics' - John Bennett 35', David Short 67' (Penalty).  Unavailable for Vics' - Drew Matthews - Forward. Damase Kiwanda - Forward (work commitments)


Vics' M.O.M - Stuart McDonald. Controlled the game and never wasteful with the ball; very inventive and enterprsing. Set up the opening goal and won the penalty that sealed the three points.


Gresley started the match better than the Vics' despite seeing Yaw Gyimah shoot just wide from eighteen yards on 6'. Reece Morris' cross was met by Matt Melbourne but his  header from eight yards dropped wide for the home side on 12'.

On 15' another run down the left by Morris ended with Vics' keeper Dylan Forth having to beat away a fiercely-struck shot.

Vics' took the lead on 35'. An inch-perfect floated cross from the right by Stuart McDonald was met by John Bennett at the far post, nodding in a downward header with the home glove-man partly at fault as he let the ball squirm out of his grasp.


HALF-TIME - Gresley 0-1 Vics'.


Gresley sub' Sam Grouse tried his luck with a long-range shot on 48' but it went wide. Vics' were now becoming more dangerous in attack and went close to doubling the lead on 63' when Dave Short got the better of full-back Jordan Wakeling and saw keeper' Rob Peet off his line; he cheekily lobbed him from twenty-five yards but unfortunately the ball bounced off the top of the cross-bar.

Two minutes later on 67' the lead was doubled - Stuart McDonald made a clever run into the area and a crude challenge from Ryan Walker saw the referee award a stone-wall penalty. Dave Short sent keeper' Rob Peet the wrong way confidently.

Reece Morris brought out a good save from Vics' keeper' Dylan Forth with a low shot on 69'. Gresley defender Matt Roome made a mistake on 72' to give the returning Godwin Abadaki the chance to charge down the left. Keeper' Rob Peet advanced from his goal-line and Abadaki curled a shot goalwards towards the bottom corner but Peet's boot diverted the ball just wide for a corner.

Reece Morris went close on 78' following a run on the right and his low shot was saved well by Vics' keeper' Dylan Forth.

Sam Grouse then headed straight at Forth; who made an easy save on 80'. Vics' midfield man John Bennett shot narrowly wide from fifteen yards on 83' with Rob Peet beaten and Gresley sub' Alvin Jarvis saw a header at the far post from Matt Roome's cross comfortably held by Dylan Forth on 86'.

Grouse had the last chance of note but put his shot from distance just over the bar as the game entered into injury time, and Vics' held firm to earn a first win under Manager Paul Moore and keeping a third successive clean sheet in the process.


Manager Paul Moore's verdict on his maiden win since taking charge -

A first win since you took charge, Paul and it has been coming the last few weeks. A good performance again, defending well and a controlled, disciplined display throughout.

Defensively we were very strong again with Reece Lyndon leading the line. Andy FitzgeraldGeorge Mannion, Matty Clarke and Adam Lawrence have all contributed in three clean sheets with Dylan Forth making great decisions in goal. All we needed was to be brave going forward  and committ ourselves and take our chances.
We have missed Godwin Abadaki and his link-up play with Yaw Gyimah and Stuart McDonald was brilliant on Saturday. 
A fantastic shift from Dave Short on his own up top made life difficult for their back three. Now we have a strong attacking force with good signings to come in and we are settling down.
The midfield area is now a good mix with three reliable lads in Jake Doran, John Bennett and Matty Clarke. Drew Matthews, Matty Shaw, John Pritchard and Niall Sultan complement what we've been trying to get to over the past few weeks - consistency in the squad but also strength and depth.
We started slow on but grew into the game and the pitch was awful. Our game plan was always to work the channels and it worked perfectly.  They couldn't cope with Stu McDonald and Yaw Gyimah.
We took our chances and although we had other shots we looked dominant after twenty-five minutes..
The second half was about being hard to break down and I knew they would change it, and they did which allowed us more room out wide.
The performance was good by all, but on a bad surface I know we will play better football, however at this stage it's about points and we got three. We had good results around us with Rugby Town and Loughborough Dynamo both losing and with two games in hand it's very much in our own hands to get out of the relegation zone.


Match report & interview by Jamie Dewsbury.