Vics' earned a point with a 2-2 draw at Bedworth United this afternoon. Following a goal-less first half - a block-buster long-range free-kick by Dave Short gave the Vics' the lead just after the resumption, only for the Greenbacks' leading scorer Dan Creaney to level matters on 75'. Yaw Gyimah fired Vics' back in front with a clinical finish following a flowing Green and Whites' move almost immediately only for fellow striker Jack Jeys to ensure a point for the home side with two minutes of normal time left.


Saturday 4th March 2017. COMPETITION - EvoStikNPL Division One South. VENUE - The Oval Ground, Bedworth.


LINE-UP'S - Bedworth United - Barnes, Kavanagh, Rowe, Moore (Brehon 29') (Smith 89'), McAteer, Albrighton, Parrott, Blythe (C), Creaney, Jeys (caution), Aldhouse (Simpson 64').  Un-used subs' - Cross, Christie.


Vics' - Forth, McDonald (caution), Mannion, Fitzgerald, Lyndon (C), Bennett, Clarke, Abadaki, Short  (Kelleher 78') (caution), Sultan (Matthews 69'), Gyimah.  Un-used subs' - Lawrence, Shaw.  


GOALS - Bedworth Utd - Daniel Creaney 75' Jack Jeys 88'.  Vics' - Dave Short 47', Yaw Gyimah 77'.

Vics' M.O.M - Reece Lyndon. Outstanding at the heart of the Vics' rear-guard and made some excellent timely last-ditch interventions to prevent several of the Grenbacks' opportunities. Unbeatable in the air, too.


In a bright start to the game by the Vics' - front-man Yaw Gyimah volleyed just wide from ten yards in the fourth minute from Dave Short's clever headed knock-down and there were two half chances for Short on 12' and 18' when first his directly struck free-kick was gathered by Greenbacks' keeper' Josh Barnes at the second attempt, and a header was easily dealt with by Barnes after Stuart McDonald had crossed too easily from the right. 
For Bedworth, leading scorer Daniel Creaney fired into the side-netting from Sam Aldhouse's assist on 23' then skipper' Rich Blythe sent Jack Jeys in on goal but he was brilliantly thwarted by Andrew Fitzgerald's alert reaction

Luke Rowe hit a free-kick into the Vics' wall on the half-hour and Dave Short responed; curling a right-foot shot straight at Josh Barnes a minute before half-time.


HALF-TIME - Bedworth Utd 0-0 Vics'.

Vics' began the second half firmly on the front foot upon the resumption and Greenbacks' centre-half Marc Albrighton hauled down a marauding Yaw Gyimah just outside the box and Dave Short’s free kick was struck tremendously, low and true; the ball flying into the bottom corner with glove-man Barnes completely helpless.
Vics' striker Dave Short then had a snapshot from twelve yards well saved by Barnes on 57' as Vics' started to gain control of the game.
Two corners in quick succession for the home side resulted in half chances for Blythe and Creaney with Forth making fairly routine saves on 62' and 67'. In between those efforts, Vics' were denied what looked a stone-wall penalty on 65' when Godwin Abadaki's jet-heeled run into the box was ended by Greenbacks' defender Jamie McAteer with an apparent trip halting the front-man's progress.
Bedworth finally found a way through after 75' when a strong run from Blythe saw him look to exchange passes with Luke Rowe and the ball bounced fortuitously off Blythe and back into the box for what looked like an offside Daniel Creaney to fire low into the net left-footed from six yards.
Two minutes later a flowing Vics' team move down the left-hand side saw Reece Lyndon play the ball into John Bennett who swept a first-time slide-rule pass into Yaw Gyimah's feet just outside the left-hand edge of the area, the front-man cushioned the ballbrilliantly and opened up his body to send a clinical cold-eyed right-foot finish across the keeper' and into the far corner from a tight angle around eight yards out.
On 88' Bedworth restored parity again - Blythe sweeping a pass out to Danny Kavanagh; whose cross hung up at the far post for Creaney to head down back into the area, Elliott Parrott hooked a shot goalwards and Jack Jeys headed in from virtually on the goal-line. No more opportunities arrived at either end of the pitch as the spoils were shared.


Vics' Manager Paul Moores' verdict on the draw -

A much better performance after Wednesday, Paul. Disappointing to concede late on, but the application of the players was good and the two goals we scored were excellent. Much to build on ahead of this Wednesday's home match with Lincoln United.


I think going into today's fixture after such a poor performance last Wednesday I would have taken a point. However, afterthe game I believe we were the better team and deserved all three points.
We set up 4-3-1-2 and within ten minutes looking at their 3-5-2 shape I changed it to 4-5-1. They were exploiting our lack of width and as soon as I changed it we looked far more comfortable in and out of trouble.
We worked hard in the first half but at half-time I said to the lads that our final third control was poor and if we improved that area whilst remaining compact - it was our game to win.
We got the goal and although I wasn't certain of the first half penalty appeal Godwin Abadaki managed to get goal-side in the box from a great individual run and was tripped and again we got nothing. That would have made it 0-2 and the match would mostlikely have been made safe in our favour.
The two goals we conceded were poor and we failed to clear on the second ball. I'm pleased with our work ethic today and the turn around from the Shaw Lane AFC defeat.. We will take the point and if we continue as we are I'm confident we can be safe from relegation by the end of the season. Carlton Town are now slowly being dragged into the scrap to stay in the division and I'm sure 35 points could be the target to successfully avoid relegation.

Up next for Vics' is a HOME EvoStik NPL Division One South fixture Vs Lincoln United on Wednesday 8th March. Kick-off is at 19:45.


Match report & interview by Jamie Dewsbury.