Vics' kept up their hopes of survival this afternoon with a stirring 1-2 away win Vs Sheffield FC this afternoon. Following a turgid first half, defender Adam Lawrence tucked home his first goal for the Green and Whites' on the hour, and forward Jack Kelleher nodded home to double the lead on 79'; rendering Sheffield's last-minute reply via defender Pat Lindley irrelevant.


Saturday 8th April 2017. COMPETITION - EvoStik NPL Division One South. VENUE - The Coach & Horses Stadium, Dronfield, Sheffield


Sheffield FC - Butt, Royles, Hanna (Nicholson 46'), Lindley, Cooksey ©, Magee, Roney, Goodwin, South (caution), Ashmore (Hamid 80'), Denton (Marsden 46').   Un-used subs' - Morton, Haystead.


Vics' - Forth, Lawrence, Mannion, Fitzgerald, Short, Bennett, Clarke © (caution) Cesaire, Kelleher (Matthews 82'), Imade, Sultan.   Un-used sub' - Shaw.


GOALS - Vics' - Adam Lawrence 60', Jack Kelleher 79'.   Sheffield FC - Pat Lindley 89'.   Unavailable for Vics' - Reece Lyndon, Stu McDonald, Yaw Gyimah (suspended).


Vics' M.O.M - Lingouba Cesaire. A midfield masterclass from the former Stalybridge Celtic schemer. Controlled the midfield area from start to finish and was the driving force behind Vics' high-tempo game after weathering the early Sheffield storm.


This last-chance saloon match for the Vics' opened up to glorious sunshine in Dronfield unlike the action which certainly wasn't during an almost forgettable first half.

Sheffield were the more enterprising in the first quarter, with a long-range strike by front-man Dan South forcing Vics' keeper' Dylan Forth into a save at full stretch on 7', whilst skipper' Lee Cooksey's glancing header dropped the wrong side of the post from Matt Roney's centre on 11'. Vics' only real chance arrived on 23' when striker Favour Imade's diving header from the busy Niall Sultan's cross from the left went over the bar with the keeper' Chris Butt a relieved onlooker. The remainder of the half passed off without much action at either end of the pitch.


HALF-TIME - Sheffield FC 0-0 Vics'.


The second half began with Vics' on the offensive and looking a lot more threatening, with midfielder Lingouba Cesaire pulling the strings. The Green and Whites' took the lead on the hour when John Bennett's clever inside pass picked out a rampaging run by Favour Imade; who in turn teed up the barnstorming run of full-back Adam Lawrence, the young defender side-footing into the bottom corner from ten yards with Chris Butt rooted to the spot. Sheffield responded on 67' when Dan South headed just wide from sub' Rene Marsden's cross but Vics' were dominating the game by and large. Jack Kelleher's back-post prodded effort was palmed away by Butt on 73' but the young hit-man was not to be denied and got his goal - and Vics' decisive second; six minutes later when he rose at the near post to send a bullet header searing past Butt from six yards out after outstanding wing-play by Niall Sultan, the cross sent over with perfect precision at the touch-line. Sheffield halved the arrears in the last minute of normal time; Pat Lindley hooking in a low right-foot shot from ten yards past Vics' keeper Dyl Forth after a monster of a long throw-in by sub' Brad Nicholson caused consternation in the Vics' rear-guard. The additional three minutes of time at the end was seen out with minimum of fuss by the Green and Whites' and a precious three points headed back to Cheshire.  


Vics' Manager Paul Moores' verdict on the crucial win that keeps up the hope of surviving relegation -

A must-win game today, Paul and the lads delivered under huge pressure to do so. A glimer of hope now that relegation can be avoided


I'd like to start my notes by thanking my assistant, Paul McKiernon for his support in the last two games. I've been late to the matches and he has covered things fantastically and what a great job he has done.
The lads were distraught on Wednesday night after losing to Rugby Town FC; after we knew how important the game was and being let down by officials like we were with Andy Fitzgerald's ridiculous sending-off. However football is indeed a funny game and with Rugby believing they were safe after beating us - they are now back in the pot after Loughborough Dynamo beat them on their own pitch by 0-1.
Today was a massive win and the lads are showing a never say-die attitude and both goals we scored today were of the very highest quality. Whatever happens by the end of the season I will be proud of them all. 
We have three league matches and effectively cup finals to survive and to maybe win a trophy (Mid-Cheshire District F.A Cup Final Vs 1874).


Up next for Vics' is a HOME league game Vs Loughborough Dynamo on Wednesday 12th April with kick-off at 19:45.


Match report & interview by Jamie Dewsbury