Monday 17th February 2014.
Cheshire F.A Senior Cup Quarter-Final.
Venue - Ewen Fields. 19:45 K.O.
HYDE F.C Frith (G.K), Fitzgerald, Thornton, Day, Ashworth, Thurston, Pollard, Brizell(C), Spencer, Kirby, Clark.
Subs - Kiwanda, Morrell, Riley, Weatherby & Gregory.
VICS Deasy, Smalley, Henry, Schofield, Wisdom(C), Phoenix, Summerskill, Hadfield, Amis, Burnett, Clarke.
Unavailable for Vics - all cup-tied - Ashley Stott, Marc Joseph & Matty Greenwood.
Injured - Alex Taylor & Scott Harries.
The opening to the match was quite scrappy, with neither side really getting a foothold in the game, the pitch quite heavy with all the recent rainfall. The first real opening fell to Vics, Gary Burnett picking out Michael Clarke on the edge of the box and his right-foot shot being well gathered by Frith in the home side's goal.

Vics' took the lead soon after in the 17th minute; Jamie Phoenix collecting the ball centre-field and embarking on a jinking run and releasing Michael Clarke into space and his first-time shot was parried well by Frith but he steered the rebound in emphatically to hand Vics the lead. The goal spurred Vics on and were knocking the ball about with confidence; Hyde's only real shot on goal a free-kick by Spencer which went comfortably wide of Deasy's post in the 25th minute.

Hyde should have got back on terms in the 37th minute however; Jake Pollard running onto Josh Brizell's fine pass through and rounding Deasy but his right-foot effort struck the post, with England C striker Scott Spencer's follow-up effort beaten away well and to safety by Deasy. Vics then had a chance to extend the lead to 2-0 in the 41st minute, Gary Burnett's stinging shot from distance tipped round the post by Frith. Half-Time came with Vics holding a slender advantage 1-0 and full value for it.

The second half became a somewhat scrappy affair with both sides exchanging possession but no real opening until the 65th minute when Gary Burnett let fly with another screamer, after Brian Summerskill had picked him out with a fine pass but the ball went agonisingly wide with Frith well beaten. Vics' lead was doubled soon after though in the 76th minute; when another fine pass through by Summerskill freed the ever-busy Gary Burnett and he picked his spot , firing home from 12 yards past the exposed Frith in the Tigers' goal for a much-deserved goal that his perserverance merited. The determination to keep a clean sheet was evident - when in the dying moments of injury-time, Centre-back Ryan Schofield threw himself heroically at a goal-bound Scott Spencer blockbuster, and the loose ball was then hacked away to safety by the industrious Jordan Hadfield and the referee then blew full-time for a famous win that sent Vics into the Cheshire Senior Cup semi-finals.
Vics' M.O.M - Gary Burnett.
A typical non-stop performance for the full 90 minutes. Pulled the Tigers' defence apart at will with his incisive runs down the channels
and fine link-up play with strike partner Michael Clarke,then a clinical finish to nudge Vics into a 2-0 lead.
Word too for Jordan Hadfield - broke up the home side's attacks nonchalantly and led the team around the park all game.

gary burnett man of match v hyde
Pictured above - At full-time -  A happy goal-scorer and M.O.M Gary Burnett.
Match report by Jamie Dewsbury.